Our Creamy mushroom sauce has a rich and savory flavor and can be used in various dishes, from pasta to meat dishes, making it a versatile ingredient for many recipes. The delicious taste and versatility of this creamy mushroom sauce make it a favorite among many food lovers.
Why you will love this sauce
- Versatile. This creamy mushroom sauce recipe suits many dishes. It can be served over pasta, steaks, chicken, and rice.
- Easy. This is a foolproof recipe that delivers results in 30 minutes.
Here is what you need for this sauce
- Olive oil and butter. I learned this trick from Julia Child. She always sautéed mushrooms in olive oil and butter for creamy results.
- Mushrooms. This sauce works with all mushrooms, button, white, portobello, oyster, whatever you like. Mix and match or use one kind.
- Onion. I only use half an onion, with goes in half way. I love how onion caramelizes and sweetens. In our sauce it still keeps a crunch because it cooks only half way, so it doesn’t soften completely. Substitute with shallots if you like.
- White wine. Substitute with vegetable or chicken stock
- Heavy cream. It pairs so well with mushrooms and makes this sauce silky.
- Ground mustard and nutmeg. The mustard provides a little tang and nutmeg gives warmth to the sauce.
- Coconut aminos or worchesteshire sauce. I use either one for seasoning sauces. They add umami to the mushroom sauce. Umami means “essence of deliciousness” in Japanese. It is meaty, savory and deepens the flavor. Be mindful of the quantity because they can turn the same from perfect to salty in a second.
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Fresh herbs. Thyme, sage oregano. Dried versions can be great substitutes.
- Chili flakes. Optional for serving
How to make it
Add the butter and olive oil to a skillet. Over medium high heat, add the mushrooms, stir and cook for 15-20 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked. Don’t season the mushrooms yet.
Add the onion and stir. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Add the white wine and thyme leaves and deglaze the pan. Allow alcohol to evaporate, 1-2 minutes.
Add the heavy cream, coconut aminos, ground mustard, ground nutmeg and stir. Allow sauce to thicken a little.
Season to taste and serve.
What to serve with this sauce
This creamy mushroom sauce is delicious and versatile. You can use it over pasta, rice, steak or chicken, basically any dish you fancy it with.
Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⅓ cup white mushrooms sliced
- ½ onion sliced
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos or worchesteshire sauce
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- fresh thyme
- chili flakes for serving
- Add the butter and olive oil to a skillet. Over medium high heat, add the mushrooms, stir and cook for 15-20 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked. Don't season the mushrooms yet.2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons butter 1⅓ cup white mushrooms
- Add the onion and stir. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.½ onion
- Add the white wine and thyme leaves and deglaze the pan. Allow alcohol to evaporate, 1-2 minutes. ½ cup white wine fresh thyme
- Add the heavy cream, coconut aminos, ground mustard, ground nutmeg and stir. Allow sauce to thicken a little. ½ cup heavy cream 1 teaspoon ground mustard 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- Season to taste and serve.sea salt freshly ground pepper chili flakes